Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Waiting Game

Looking for a job is a game of 'wait':
  • You send in a resume; then you wait.
  • They write you back asking about availability for a 'phone screen'; then you wait.
  • They settle on a time early next week; then you wait.
  • The H/R 'Screener' calls, you talk for a bit, the Screener sets up a phone interview (two weeks out); then you wait.
  • The phone interview happens; you talk to a Senior Engineer for a bit; then you wait.
  • And Wait
I passed the Phone Screen three weeks ago, I have the Phone Interview this afternoon, just after lunch.

I treat an interview like I would any business meeting -- I prepare. I re-read all of the information I have gathered -- the original job description, my notes from the previous call, my notes on news items about the company, any new items that appeared in today's headlines. Then I wait.

Sigh, I don't wait well. I am on my third cup of coffee.

Music: Carl Orff -- Carmina Burana

No comments:

Post a Comment